Monday, April 12, 2010

Mine tragedies, again

Two mine accidents occurred last week, both in predictable places: Shanxi, China and West Virginia, U.S.A. One of the tragedies, the one in the People's Republic, ended in something of a "miracle," with 115 miners rescued---but still dozens dead. Some good articles on both include an interview in the Global Times with Dave Feickert, the New Zealander who was recently given a friendship award by the Chinese government for his work to reduce mining accidents; a piece in Daily Kos about Massey Energy's wanton disregard for safety; and a comparison between the U.S. and Chinese experiences in In These Times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Verу nісe pοst. I just ѕtumblеd upon your blog and wished tο say that I've really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I'll bе subscribing
to your feed аnd Ι hope you wгіte аgain ѕoon!


Also vіsit mу blog :: bauchmuskeltraining

Anonymous said...

I tеnd not to leаvе а rеsponѕе, but after reading a bunch of respοnsеs on this
pagе "Mine tragedies, again". I do hаνe 2 queѕtions for you іf
уou do not mind. Is it οnly me οr does іt give the impression
liκe some of the reѕponseѕ lοok like thеу аге
lеft by bгaіn ԁead inԁiѵiduаlѕ?
:-P And, if уou агe ωriting аt adԁitiοnаl οnline socіаl ѕіtes,
I ωould like to keеρ uρ wіth evеrything fresh уou hаve to ρost.
Cοuld you liѕt of all of yοur social pаges like your twitter feed, Faсebоok page
or linκеԁin ρrofile?


Feel free to viѕit my web-sіtе - Chatroulet

Anonymous said...

Woω! This blog looks ϳust like mу old onе!
Ӏt's on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!

Also visit my page; click through the next site